Washing Merrell hiking shoes is a tricky proposition. The material used in these shoes is breathable and water-repellent, but it’s also treated with a special finish that inhibits the growth of microbial life.
So while you might be tempted to just hose them off, resist the urge – Merrell recommends either hand-washing with a mild detergent or machine washing on gentle cycle with a small amount of non-detergent soap.
Can You Wash Merrell Hiking Shoes
Hiking shoes are designed to be rugged and weather-resistant, but they can also get dirty and muddy while you’re out hiking. Here are a few tips for cleaning them: Remove dirt, grass and gravel with your hands or a garden hose.
Spray the shoes with a hose to clean them up better. Shine a brillo pad over the shoes to remove any excess dirt, then wash them in hot water with soap. Rinse them off with cold water, and dry them with a towel.
Remove Dirt, Grass And Gravel
Dirt, grass and gravel can make your hiking shoes dirty and uncomfortable to wear. To remove dirt, grass and gravel from your hiking shoes, you will need a gentle cleanser and a cloth.
Pour the cleaner into a small bowl or cup. Rub the area of the shoe that needs cleaning with the cloth until it is clean. Rinse the area of the shoe with water to clean it completely. Dry the area of the shoe with a towel before putting on your hiking boots again.
If you have light-colored hiking boots, be sure to pre-treat them before each outing with the cleaner to avoid staining your boots while in the field. For heavier duty boots, such as those used for backpacking or cross country skiing, use a degreaser prior to cleaning them to get deep down into embedded dirt and grime build-up.
Once your hiking shoes are clean and free of debris, they are ready for use again!
Spray With A Hose
If you’ve got Spray with a hose, you can wash your Merrell hiking shoes using it. Just fill the spray bottle up with water and turn it on to full blast, then aim it at the shoes and let them soak for a while.
- Washing your hiking shoes by hand is the best solution for cleaning them. Hosing them down with a garden hose will not do any good and may even damage them.
- Use a mild detergent or soap that is safe for sneakers, and be sure to rinse thoroughly. Do not use any harsh chemicals or bleach to clean your hiking shoes.
- Air-drying is the best way to dry your hiking shoes after washing them. Hanging them upside down will help remove excess water, but do not leave them in direct sunlight or they will become brittle and crack.
- Do not store your hiking shoes in a damp place where they can get moldy or wet again. Store them in a cool, dry location away from pets and children
Shine With A Brillo Pad
If you want your hiking shoes to look their best, you should shine them up with a brillo pad. This type of pad is made from steel wool and can be used to clean surfaces like wood, metal, stone, and plastic. Simply apply the pad to the shoe and scrub away any dirt or residue.
- If your Merrell hiking shoes are starting to show signs of wear and tear, you can give them a quick shine with a Brillo pad. A Brillo pad is a type of household cleaning pad that is made from wood pulp and abrasives. It is perfect for giving your hiking shoes a quick clean and polish.
- You will need some water and the Brillo pad in order to complete this task. Wet the Brillo pad with water, wring it out, and work it into the dirt on the shoe’s surface. Be sure to use circular, not back-and-forth, motions while cleaning so as not to damage the shoe’s fabric.
- After cleansing the shoe with the Brillo pad, dry it off thoroughly before putting it away in its storage container. By taking care of your hiking shoes early on, you will keep them looking good for years to come!
- Hiking shoes should be treated just like any other piece of clothing – they should be cleaned regularly with a soft cloth or brush and dried immediately after being washed.
- To avoid damaging your hiking shoes’ fabrics, always clean them using a gentle soap and cool water only – never hot water or chemicals!
Wash In Hot Water With Soap
Merrell hiking shoes are a popular product for outdoor enthusiasts and for those who enjoy walking or going on short hikes. Because of the materials used in Merrell hiking shoes, they can be difficult to clean if not hand-washed.
You should wash your Merrell hiking shoes in hot water with soap before you wear them again to ensure that they are clean and odor-free. To avoid damage to the leather and rubber on your Merrell hiking shoes, do not use harsh detergents or cleaners.
It is important to rinse your shoes thoroughly after washing them so that any soap residue is removed. Hang your Merrell hiking shoes upside down to dry so that the water does not seep inside the shoe and cause it to become wetter than necessary.
Be sure to store your Merrell hiking shoes in a dry place when you are not using them so that they will last longer.
If you find that your Merrell hiking shoes start to smell bad, it may be time to treat them with a leather conditioner or shoe polish. Do not try to stain or repair your Merrell hiking shoes yourself; instead, take them to a professional shoe repair shop or retailer for help.
Rinse With Cold Water
If you’re planning on hiking in wet or muddy conditions, it’s important to rinse your shoes off before putting them into the washing machine. Merrell hiking shoes are made of waterproof material, so cold water is the best way to clean them.
If you plan on rinsing your hiking shoes in cold water, it is important to remove the cushion before doing so. This will help reduce the amount of water that will be absorbed by the shoe and increase its lifespan.
Empty Shoe Box
After removing the cushion, it is important to empty the shoebox before rinsing them in cold water. This will help remove any dirt, debris, or oils that may have accumulated inside the box over time.
When adding water to your washing machine, make sure to bring it to a full boil before turning off the heat and pouring it into your shoes. Doing so will help kill any harmful bacteria that may be present on the shoes.
Soak Shoes for 10 Minutes
After rinsing the shoes in cold water, it is important to soak them for 10 minutes before drying them off. Doing so will help remove all traces of soap and detergent from the surface of the shoe and improve their lifespan.
Finally, air-dry your hiking shoes as quickly as possible after rinsing them in cold water. Doing so will prevent moisture from building up inside the shoe and causing it to rot prematurely
Dry With A Towel
Yes, you can wash Merrell hiking shoes with a towel. Just be sure to use a gentle soap and water, and avoid using harsh detergents or scouring pads.
- If your hiking shoes are starting to feel dry and stiff, it’s time to take them off and give them a good, long soak in some water. Hiking shoes are designed to be easily soaked in water and then wrung out, which will help improve their flexibility and make them easier to put on.
- You can also use a hairdryer on low or direct heat to help soften the leather and restore moisture. Make sure that you don’t overheat the shoe, as this could cause it to crack or shrink.
- Finally, before putting your hiking shoes back on, it’s a good idea to apply a coat of polish or wax to keep them looking good for another hike!
- When your hiking shoes start feeling dry and stiff, it’s time to give them a good soak in some water or try using a hairdryer on low or direct heat to soften the leather and bring back some moisture. Make sure not to overheat the shoe, as this could cause it to crack or shrink! Finally, before putting your hiking shoes back on, apply a coat of polish or wax for extra protection.
Yes, you can wash Merrell Hiking Shoes in the washing machine. However, be sure to follow the specific instructions that come with your shoes to ensure they are treated properly and do not damage the fabric.
Angel Portillo is an experienced tourism professional who has worked in the travel industry for many years. He has extensive knowledge of the different destinations that are popular among tourists, and is able to provide tips and advice on how to make the most of your visit. His passion for travel is evident in her writing, which is full of interesting and descriptive details about the different places he’s visited.